[e2e] Question on MTU

David Borman david.borman at windriver.com
Thu Apr 21 15:13:22 PDT 2005

Joe,

The "effective send MSS" takes into account options, but the MSS value
put into the TCP MSS option should not.  In section 4.2.2.6 of RFC
1122:

             The MSS value to be sent in an MSS option must be less than
             or equal to:

                MMS_R - 20

             where MMS_R is the maximum size for a transport-layer
             message that can be received (and reassembled).  TCP obtains
             MMS_R and MMS_S from the IP layer; see the generic call
             GET_MAXSIZES in Section 3.4.

And in section 3.3.2:

          There MUST be a mechanism by which the transport layer can
          learn MMS_R, the maximum message size that can be received and
          reassembled in an IP datagram (see GET_MAXSIZES calls in
          Section 3.4).  If EMTU_R is not indefinite, then the value of
          MMS_R is given by:

             MMS_R = EMTU_R - 20

          since 20 is the minimum size of an IP header.

The receiver can't reliably predict what IP or TCP options the sender
is going to put into the packets, so it doesn't include them in the MSS
option.  The sender then does take those options into account when
calculating the "effective send MSS", because it knows exactly what
options are going into the packet.

			-David Borman