[e2e] Jitter Calculations in IP networks.

Michael Dales mwd24 at thompson.cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 24 05:46:28 PDT 2005

Aamir Mehmood <am.amir at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> We are doing analysis of core ip backbone. Can some one please let me
> know how jitter is calculated  in ip networks. Is there any software
> except ethereal which can calculate the jitter from the captured RTP
> stream.

You might want to look at the work the IETF working group IPPM (IP
Performance Metrics) have been doing. Their charter can be found here:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ippm-charter.html

Specifically they have an RFC specifying how to measure delay variance:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3393.txt

Hope that's of some use.

--
Michael Dales