[e2e] Expected latency for a single hop

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Aug 4 05:50:28 PDT 2005

I posted this in another context yesterday, but perhaps, I should
isolate the problem to state it more clearly.

Consider an arbitrary packet-switching network.

Consider two adjacent nodes n1, n2 with link l in between

n1--------------------------n2

Consider a packet traveling the network, it´s path shall contain n1 and
n2 subsequently.

Now, let
  t1: packet´s arrival time on r1.
  t2: packet´s arrival time on r2.

Can we forecast expectaition and variance (if only for the _near_
future!) for the "one hop latency" t2 - t1 ?

I explicitely focus on a "best effort" context.

For link l I assume, that expectation and variance of the transport
latency exist.

Is there any work in this direction?

--
Detlef Bosau