[e2e] Latency Variation and Contention.

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Aug 16 16:29:25 PDT 2005

Sireen Habib Malik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have not read the paper, however, I think that if,
>
> RTT = Round Trip Time, and
> dRTT = variations in RTT,
>
> then "dRTT" is a weak/poor indicator of congestion.

but a good indicator that congestion control will be hard to compute ;-)

stability is f(dRTT), not f(RTT)

RTT is a function of distance, in general
dRTT is a function of the number of hops, in general

Changes in the two - relative or absolute - don't seem to tell you much
more than that, though.

> A congestion signal based upon "dRTT/RTT" would give a much better idea,
> relatively speaking.

relative variance = variance/mean

but noise is more closely correlated to variance than to relative
variance, which makes sense if dRTT = variance

what you are aiming at is SNR, i.e., 10log10(RTT/dRTT)

Joe