[e2e] Latency Variation and Contention.

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Aug 17 04:13:32 PDT 2005

Your comments are both, helpful and enlightning.

Nevertheless, please, allow me to re-focus the discussion.

The assertion made by ElRakbawy, Klemm and Lindemann is:

Ass.1:   Network contention can be measured by measuring the RTT
variance. A small variance is equivalent to a low degree of contention
and a high variance is equivalent to a high degree of contention.

Assertions like these can be met in literature several times and it´s
simply the question whether this assertion is true or not.

Personally, I am in great doubt at this.

It´s exactly what David P. Reed pointed out some weeks ago.
Before building brittle constructs upon questionable assertions, it is
important to have a solid _basis_.

Here in Germany, we have a saying: "Das Fundament ist die Grundlage
jeglicher Basis." I don´t know whether there exists an english
equivalent, but this makes the very difference whether a space shuttle
pilot coming home is busy with landing or busy with prayer.

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau
Galileistrasse 30