[e2e] Question about propagation and queuing delays

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Mon Aug 22 14:50:52 PDT 2005

no, but there are different realities, and how one measures them is
also relevant.

In large fiber backbones, within the backbone we generally run 10:1
overprovisioned or more. within those backbones, as you note, the
discussion is moot. But not all traffic stays within the cores of
large fiber backbones - much of it is originated and terminates in
end systems located in homes and offices.

The networks that connect homes and offices to the backbones are
often constrained differently. For example, my home (in an affluent
community in California) is connected by Cable Modem, and the service
that I buy (business service that in its AUP accepts a VPN, unlike
the same company's residential service) guarantees a certain amount
of bandwidth, and constrains me to that bandwidth - measured in KBPS.
I can pretty easily fill that, and when I do certain services like
VoIP don't work anywhere near as well. So I wind up playing with the
queuing of traffic in the router in my home to work around the
service rate limit in my ISP. As I type this morning (in a hotel in
Taipei), the hotel provides an access network that I share with the
other occupants of the hotel. It's not uncommon for the entire hotel
to share a single path for all of its occupants, and that single path
is not necessarily in MBPS. And, they tell me that the entire world
is not connected by large fiber cores - as soon as you step out of
the affluent industrialized countries, VSAT, 64 KBPS links, and even
9.6 access over GSM become the access paths available.

As to measurement, note that we generally measure that
overprovisioning by running MRTG and sampling throughput rates every
300 seconds. When you're discussing general service levels for an
ISP, that is probably reasonable. When you're measuring time
variations on the order of milliseconds, that's a little like running
a bump counter cable across a busy intersection in your favorite
downtown, reading the counter once a day, and drawing inferences
about the behavior of traffic during light changes during rush hour...

http://www.ieee-infocom.org/2004/Papers/37_4.PDF has an interesting
data point. They used a much better measurement methodology, and one
of the large networks gave them some pretty cool access in order to
make those tests. Basically, queuing delays within that particular
very-well-engineered large fiber core were on the order of 1 ms or
less during the study, with very high confidence. But the same data
flows frequently jumped into the 10 ms range even within the 90%
confidence interval, and a few times jumped to 100 ms or so. The
jumps to high delays would most likely relate to correlated high
volume data flows, I suspect, either due to route changes or simple
high traffic volume.

The people on NANOG and the people in the NRENs live in a certain
ivory tower, and have little patience with those who don't. They also
measure the world in a certain way that is easy for them.