[e2e] Question about propagation and queuing delays

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Aug 24 02:36:47 PDT 2005

So I am sitting in a meeting room at APAN, which is meeting in
Taipei. I happen to be VPN'd into Cisco in San Jose, but I shut that
down to develop a traceroute for your benefit.

The traceroute from here to Cisco is:

traceroute to irp-view7.cisco.com (171.70.65.144), 64 hops max, 40
byte packets
1  ip-242-001 (140.109.242.1)  8.177 ms  10.311 ms  16.018 ms
2  ae-0-10.br0.tpe.tw.rt.ascc.net (140.109.251.50)  2.096 ms  66.035
ms  49.755 ms
3  s4-1-1-0.br0.pax.us.rt.ascc.net (140.109.251.105)  206.316 ms
162.307 ms  259.891 ms
4  so-5-1.hsa4.sanjose1.level3.net (64.152.81.9)  130.915 ms  274.471
ms  304.699 ms
5  so-2-1-0.bbr2.sanjose1.level3.net (4.68.114.157)  132.229 ms
176.587 ms  135.330 ms
6  ge-11-0.ipcolo1.sanjose1.level3.net (4.68.123.41)  134.507 ms
ge-11-2.ipcolo1.sanjose1.level3.net (4.68.123.169)  131.669 ms
ge-11-0.ipcolo1.sanjose1.level3.net (4.68.123.41)  134.544 ms
7  p1-0.cisco.bbnplanet.net (4.0.26.14)  130.734 ms  131.757 ms
140.291 ms
8  sjck-dmzbb-gw1.cisco.com (128.107.239.9)  146.848 ms  132.394 ms
168.201 ms

I ran a ping (through the VPN) to a server inside Cisco. While I did
that, I downloaded a number of files. The variation in ping delay is:

225 packets transmitted, 222 packets received, 1% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 132.565/571.710/2167.062/441.876 ms

The peak rate sftp reported was about 141.3 KB/s, and the least rate
was 34.2 KB/s. The difference most likely relates to the effects of
packet loss (1.3% loss is non-negligible), delay variation (a
standard deviation in ping RTT of 442 ms and an absolute variation in
delay of 2034 ms are also non-negligible), the effects of slow-start
and fast-retransmit procedures, or the bandwidth remaining while
other users also made use of the link.

What this demonstrates is the variation in delay that happens around
bottlenecks in the Internet, and why folks that worry about TCP/SCTP
congestion management procedures are not playing with recreational
pharmaceuticals. I won't speculate where this bottleneck is beyond
saying I'll bet it's in one of the first few hops of that traceroute
- the access path.