[e2e] A Question on the TCP handoff

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri Dec 2 08:27:42 PST 2005

Detlef Bosau wrote:
> Alper Kamil Demir wrote:
>> David,
>> Thank you very much for the reply. However, I think tcpcp will not
>> solve the problem because tcpcp is useful to migrate tcp connection
>> from place to place (correct me if I am wrong). What I want to achieve
>> is to replace the warm-up connection with an already
>> established actual connection (so that replaced new connection
>> both does have the same previous flow control of actual connection and
>> doesn't go into slow start process by having congestion control state
>> of warm-up).
>
> Admittedly, I don´t quite understand what you mean by "warm up
> connection".

That sounds similar to:

"Prefetching the Means for Document Transfer:
A New Approach for Reducing Web Latency"
Edith Cohen Haim Kaplan, Computer Networks, 2002.

For the web case, prefetching 'warms' the router caches and possibly the
TCB caches on the end host, as well as setting up the connection in
advance of its use.

Joe