[e2e] queriable networks

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sun Dec 4 11:57:47 PST 2005

If you believe that "the network" is something that is "provided" by a
few big oligopolists, it's of course quite easy to imagine that "the
network" can characterize itself.   And imagination is a powerful
thing.   Imagine Victory in Iraq, and it just happens (as far as our CEO
and his crew is concerned, since he never gets out of the bubble that
travels with him).

The Internet is a collective, emergent noun describing a process to some
of us.  Probably not to Cisco or Verizon or the ITU, though.  :-)

So it seems we are talking about two different things.  I can ask Cisco
to make IPv6 happen, and it's a simple matter, of course.   Because they
are in charge, right?  :-)

Seriously, perhaps it would be a good thing for professional engineers
who are working on the Internet to recognize that "the network" used to
describe a unitary actor is a slippery concept, not to be used in
critically sound discourse.

Unless, of course, you work for Cisco.