[e2e] TCP Traffic Measurement Studies

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sat Dec 24 05:00:06 PST 2005

Lloyd Wood wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Detlef Bosau wrote:
>
> > Vijay Erramilli wrote:
> >

> > > I am trying to get a sense of what typical ratios of forward/reverse
> > > byte traffic is in TCP.  This will of course vary depending on the
> >
> > Is there a reason why this should be different from two simplex
> > connections, at least as long as there is no asymmetric bandwidth / load
> > somehwere in the network?
>
> shared media - traditional Ethernet (now rare),
                                      that´s why I forgot about it :-)

However, I think Vijay´s question was more related to the transport
layer.

And I don´t see a "pure L4" reason for different throughput in both
directions of a TCP connection.

(I admit: My computer is connected to my DSL Router via Ethernet ;-) And
due to my somewhat dated hub, this is actually CSMA/CD ;-))

Detlef
--
Detlef Bosau
Galileistrasse 30