[e2e] Re: UDP Performance problem

Kartik Gopalan kartik at cs.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 10 16:58:47 PST 2005

You might want to check if the particular model of your SMC switch
supports jumbo frames in the first place -- most lower-end Gigabit
switches in market don't. We get up 700 to 900Mbps with UDP on SMC8508T
switches and Intel PRO/1000 NIC cards (depending on the interrupt
coalescing value set on the NIC). My colleague has reported between 450 to
600Mbps with TCP.

You may also need to pace the sending rate a little from your UDP
application to achieve peak throughput, so that your NIC doesn't get
overwhelmed and start randomly dropping packets.

- Kartik