[e2e] Security implications blurring the name/address distinction

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Feb 16 04:55:13 PST 2005

We've strayed far afield from the original question, prompted by my
digression about the history of "not securing" TCP.   And it is great to
have this discussion - it would have been even better to have this
discussion years ago!

Both Vadim and Joe make good points, from particular points of view.
Since they are both right, I think it's worth teasing out the structure
of the problem here.  (Lloyd - in this I'm not intending to be
sanctimonious, just slightly pedantic in hopes of better clarity).

There are two end-to-end security properties under discussion here:

1) end-to-end messages contain names and data that are certain to be
correct, without depending on the transport. (integrity and )

2) endpoints' workload should be protected as much as possible from
hostile actors. (protection from denial of service)

There is a third security property that is somewhat controversial -
end-to-end messages should be readable only by authorized recipients
(CALEA-not).

Vadim points out that confusing network addresses with endpoint names is
both unnecessary and opens up risks to the first property.  The cost of
his proposal is maintaining two sets of names, exposing only the address
hints to the network.  This also helps manage the third property (though
traffic analysis can reveal something about the messages if the
addresses are too richly endowed - encrypted onion routing minimizes the
third risk).

Joe focuses on the need for measures to minimize the denial of service
risk.   There are other possible measures that could manage this, once
one realizes that this risk has little to do with end-do-end naming, and
everything to do with "universal addressibility".

The risk of each node being able to address every physical node in the
network, which is mostly a good thing, leads to all kinds of denial of
service possibliities.

This really has little to do with the "end-to-end" protocol (whether TCP
or UDP), though.

A much better formulation of the denial of service risk that arises due
to network addressing  would focus entirely on the IP layer, and not on
TCP at all.

Solutions to the denial of service issues would then focus on the work
factor involved in a malicious actor being able to impose work on other
actors, the cost of detecting and disciplining the malicious actors, and
the cost of isolating disruption.   One would then focus on IP layer
solutions that address these problems.  Such IP layer solutions might
involve filtering gateways that have time-varying tokens for entry,
time-varying addresses (changing your phone number is a lot easier than
changing your name when harassed), network layer packet backtrace
capability, eliminating or guarding "packet amplifiers" like broadcast, etc.

But by confusing the layers, we confused the responsibility for very
different security properties, and a better layer separation would have
been a good idea!

I shouldn't need to say it here, but TCP is not the perfect embodiment
of the "end-to-end" principle, but instead is full of compromises. It's
far more end-to-end  than was SNA or Tymnet or NCP, some of its
predecessors.   The sharing of the name field was indeed such a
compromise.   We did it in the name of "saving header overhead", and
because the address/name debate was not fully understood by the community.

I feel bad, though, that the "security" community seems to take the
blurred distinctions as a given, blurring their own notion of what makes
a secure network.  As Vadim rightly points out, security should not be
the province solely of the network administration, yet that is where the
burden is put by most corporations, including most major endpoint
application vendors (e.g. Microsoft gets sucked into discussions about
"open ports" as if that puts the end-to-end virus or worm security risk
into the realm of firewalls to fix).