[e2e] link between Kelly's control and TCP's AIMD

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Thu Feb 17 11:20:35 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 01:31:08AM +0000, Damon Wischik wrote:

> Roy Xu wrote:
> >I'm looking for a pointer to literatures that link the
> >TCP's (discrete) AIMD to Kelly's (continuous) control formulation.
>
> Kelly's continuous-time formulation uses a differential equation model
> (also called a fluid model) for TCP. You should look at the literature
> which describes this fluid model, starting with
>
> "A Fluid-based Analysis of a Network of AQM Routers Supporting TCP Flows
> with an Application to RED", V. Misra, W. Gong, D. Towsley, SIGCOMM 2000.

Fluid flow congestion control analysis goes beck to these guys at least:

%A D. Mitra
%A T. Seery
%T Dynamic Adaptive Windows for High Speed Data Networks: Theory and
%Simulation
%J Proc. SIGCOMM Symposium on Communications Architectures and Protocols
%P 30-29
%I ACM SIGCOMM
%C Philadelphia, PA
%D Sept 24-27, 1990