[e2e] a problem...

Puddinhead Wilson puddinghead_wilson007 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 05:01:59 PST 2005

So while discussing this with folks I ran into another
interesting case

We have
N1------------------>N2
|                    |
 ------------------->

one wishes to have redundant links, so that if N1
fails, N2 should be used the links are long and huge..

Some folks prefer to send data over both links
simultaneously and let the receiver side decide which
one to use...funnily they still need to "signal" the
failure of a link across N1 and N2, rather than simply
rely on absence of clock (??)..the going word for it
is APS.

Another option could be to let N1 decide which link to
use.

Obviously both links have to terminate on different
ports, so it wont matter one way or the other... the
clock detection still seems simpler :(, another
advantage being you could use "both", but lets leave
that aside for now..

also say:
if we do "short 2 wires" and send data over both,
we need an arbitrator/switch to decide which wire to
use.
should this arbitrator be on the ingress side or the
egress side?

 --- Puddinhead Wilson