[e2e] link between Kelly's control and TCP's AIMD

Alex Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sat Feb 19 12:12:36 PST 2005

Lordy, Lordy, since when is a threshold or timeout linear?  If I drop 1% of a
true fluid flow randomly, do I get 30% less out the other end of the pipe?
One key to TCP's nonlinearity is its naive attempt to protect the network
layer from congestion.  The folks in the '80s who trembled with anger at
Metcalfe's prediction of Internet collapse lived through some bad, near-miss
scares, but instead of fixing IP and the network-layer systems, chose to make
the transport layer the guardian of the net.  This has always been a band aid,
or kludge, depending on your upbringing, but it led to complacency and even
religious fervor about "TCP", with cults even espousing foolery like "TCP
Friendliness" and forclosing good ideas on doing a real fix for over a decade.
  Of course the Internet bureaucracy did deal with idiotic IPv4 addressing,
over as many years, and did so well we have IPv6 (or we hope we never will
have it)!

{:o]

Alex