[e2e] link between Kelly's control and TCP's AIMD

Alex Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sat Feb 19 12:24:42 PST 2005

Right.  I was objecting to the use of "fluid" as a common term, because even
conservation of fluid elements isn't obeyed by a protocol like TCP, or its
sublayers.  And, a good model has to be aware of the effects of state changes
within subflows, in order to determine, even statistically, what each end will
do.  This particularly violates the fluid model (linear or not) when we
realize the vast difference in how feedback to the originator can occur from
the receiver.  The bottom line in modelling is always to respect the
engineer's motto:  "The electrons (or whatever) know what they're doing.  It's
up to us to figure that out."

Alex