[e2e] link between Kelly's control and TCP's AIMD

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sun Feb 20 15:37:10 PST 2005

Right Jon.  In one hot area of the network systems industry now, we see huge
corporate interest in taming p2P traffic (Kazaaa, BitTorrent, eDonkey...) and
IM file xfers -- not only due to traffic loading at edge interfaces, but due
to copyright-suit fears and intellectual property loss (the other IP).  This
too is a direct result of the historically poor grasp of what's important in a
truly global Internet, much as earlier issues with DOS, etc.

So, the upshot is lots of $ being and to be spent on systems that analyze,
report and even intervene on such flows.  Most of this $ will go to companies
and investors in them, but come from all of us, just as the historical subsidy
for the Internet paths, protocols, conventions and other yadda yadda that's
left us in the current state of mediocrity came mostly from taxpayers.  What
other publicly funded system has turned out to have its dominant daily service
volumes in scams, spam, pornography and whatever else low lifes can think of?
The Internet is its own denial of service system.  The issue isn't free
access, it's misappropriation -- the little secret ISPs haven't really wanted
to expose -- and, the culprit?  The same Internet bureacracy that cloyingly
plotted graphs of doubling (or more) of variables X, Y... every year, but
failed to grasp old networking truths and act on them with speed & common
sense.

Here's a test for any new CS grad student:  Name 4 reasons the Internet is
poorly designed.  You have 4 minutes.  :]

Alex