[e2e] link between Kelly's control and TCP's AIMD

Sireen Habib Malik s.malik at tuhh.de
Tue Feb 22 02:28:22 PST 2005

Hi,

I just want to continue on the comment that "(tcp) performance modelling
have had some interesting errors". I take this as a very good chance to
understand a few things here.

Following is the most basic model (I am starting with the abc... which
is a very nice place to start).

Area under the curve assuming periodic "packet loss" (AIMD control)

a. total_packets = (w*w)/ 4+ (w*w)/8 = 3*w*w/8
b. loss probability (p) = (1 lost packet) /(total_packets)   = 8/(3*w*w)

Therefore, w= sqrt (8/(3*p).

Since average_window = (3*w)/4, therefore,

average_window = sqrt (1.5/p).

Risking the nausea of many people here, i have included all the trivial
steps. This very straight forward approach does lead to a non-linear
relationship!

What are the errors in this approach?

I am sure that knowing the problem with this one  will lead to a deeper
understanding of the "Troubled" Control Protocol (excuse my twist but
the preceding discussions do give the impression!)

Thank you for the response.

Sireen Malik
TUHH
Hamburg, Gemany

--

Sireen Malik, M.Sc.
PhD. Candidate,

Communication Networks
Hamburg University of  Technology,
FSP 4-06 (room 3008)
Denickestr. 17
21073 Hamburg, Deutschland

Tel: +49 (40) 42-878-3387
Fax: +49 (40) 42-878-2941
E-Mail: s.malik at tuhh.de

--Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler (Albert Einstein)