[e2e] Routers accessing TCP header

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed Feb 23 09:14:57 PST 2005

Hi Arjuna:

Thanks for the note placing your work in context.  I downloaded a couple of
the tech reports and read them briefly -- it helps to understand that you
came at the problem of error notification as a way to help avoid the
unnecessary retransmission due to dupe acks problem.

Let me explain the original point of my note.  Bob Braden (manager of
this list) is often fond of reminding folks that we, in computer science,
do a poor job of seeking out other's work before we start on our own.
So a lot of work starts with a blank piece of paper, when a lot of prior
work would ensure the work started better informed.  So I encourage you
to look not so much at our ETEN paper's contents (which is addressing
a different issue) but at our references (some 40+) which seek to cite
all the prior work worrying about error notification -- you may find
something relevant to your work.

Good luck!

Craig