[e2e] Question about RFC 2581

Dado Colussi gdc at iki.fi
Wed Jan 5 06:34:13 PST 2005

Mark Allman wrote:
>>Why is (2) slightly more aggressive than 1 segment per RTT if the
>>receiver ACKs every segment?
>>
>>I just don't get it.
>

> Stupid Author Error.
>
> It will be fixed in the revision (which is underway).

Hi Mark and Michael,

if acknowledgment means a *segment* transmitted by a receiver that
indicates successfully recieved segments, then it is indeed more
aggressive because (2) is used for each ACK segment, not for each
transmitted segment that has been successfully received.

If acknowledgment means *indication* of a successfully received segment,
then (2) should be used for each ACK segment N times where N is the
number of segments indicated successfully received by that ACK segment.

I've always found the term ACK confusing. Sometimes it means the first,
and sometimes the latter.

Cheers, Dado