[e2e] RST effect on socket buffers?

Tristan Horn tristan+e2e at ethereal.net
Wed Jan 5 22:50:18 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:31:57AM -0800, Joe Touch wrote:

>There seems like a bunch of bugs here:

It gets worse: the proxy always sends a FIN to the server as soon as it
receives one -- it seems to have no concept of half-closed connections
at all.  (This is using the HTTP CONNECT method, where there's no room
to make guesses at the content of the proxied connection.)

>	- poor choice of timeout value
>		i.e., 1/2 MSL is far too short
>
>	- assuming a timeout is appropriate at all
>		there's nothing in TCP that requires a timeout for
>		a half-closed connection

I can see the value in supporting a timeout, though (as Rick pointed
out).

>	- sending a RST because of that timeout
>		RSTs aren't there to clean-up state, UNLESS that
>		state interferes with new connections (SYN to a
>		CONNECTED session)

Agreed on all points.  :)

>Yes. Segments are flushed (pg 71)

Thanks!  That's exactly what I wanted to know.

--
Tristan Horn
Sr. Network Engineer