[e2e] overlay over TCP

Jonathan Shapiro jshapiro at cse.msu.edu
Thu Jan 13 06:43:13 PST 2005

In terms of preserving TCP friendliness, would TCP flow control provide
a natural form back pressure for TCP sessions coupled  together in
sequence and thus constrain the rate of a session over the VC to the
minimum available bandwidth on any individual overlay link?

There's been some work on this back pressure mechanism for
application-level multicast. The following links might be helpful
http://www.cs.bu.edu/techreports/pdf/2003-015-roma.pdf
http://www.eurecom.fr/~btroup/BPublished/ngc2002_overlay.pdf
http://www-lor.int-evry.fr/~templemo/Academic/REALM/realm.html
http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~bli/papers/jsac04.pdf
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/rvr/papers/SelectCast.ps
http://www.arl.wustl.edu/Publications/2000-04/wucs0017.pdf

When you say "avoid some of the application-layer problems of reliable
in-order delivery" are you thinking about multiplexing many logical
sessions over a single TCP VC? In that case, would a protocol like SCTP
be a reasonable alternative to TCP?

/jonathan