[e2e] Re: a problem...

Zartash Afzal Uzmi zartash at lums.edu.pk
Fri Jan 14 15:23:36 PST 2005

If the simple way on copper is to detect a DC "transmitted" by N2, then
an equivalent simple way on wireless is to detect a sine wave at f GHz
transmitted by N2.

Constant magnitude constant frequency Sine wave is as much
information-less as the DC itself!

I think you should specify the "layer" when you say that "do not wish to
send a reverse ack". For example, consider a voltage source connected
through a long transmission line to a resistor. In this case, resistor
is my N2 and its open-circuit/in-circuit condition will tell me whether
N2 is alive or not. Clearly, N2 is not going to be able to send any ACK
but the input impedance seen by N1 (my voltage source) will be able to
indicate whether N2 is alive or not.

In above example, are we sending a signal from N2 to N1? Well, the
conductor pair is sort of acting as a reverse channel at the physical
layer but clearly no ack is sent at network layer.

You can think of replacing the resistor by the input impedance of a live
node...

Now here might be something interesting. As with a voltage source,
copper conductors, and resistors, I can detect the state of N2 (open or
close). i.e., no network layer ack but phy layer ack is implicitly
there. Can we do a similar thing over wireless and/or fiber? I am not
sure and haven't looked at passive RFIDs but aren't they supposed to be
detected in a similar way as the voltage source, conductor and resistor?
Someone familiar with passive RFIDs should speak up. If these two cases
are similar, do we have something to act similarly over a fiber?

zartash