[e2e] overlay over TCP

Randall Stewart randall at stewart.chicago.il.us
Thu Jan 20 02:19:01 PST 2005

Joe Touch wrote:

> RJ Atkinson wrote:
>

>> Perhaps one of the paths forward is for folks who propose new
>> transport-layer protocols to also have an informational document
>> targeted at folks who build firewalls (or other middle boxes) to help
>> educate them on what the real risks are (and aren't) with the new
>> protocol and also to give them help on how to implement support for
>> that new protocol in their middle box...
>

> That presumes, IMO, that NAT designers _want_ to incorporate new protocols.

I think not.. its more demand that drives the process IMO or
as put in a move "show me the money" ...

>> (My assumption here is that the big barrier is confusion/ignorance. :-)
>

> For many, as well as many customers, "all new protocols are more
> dangerous than current ones" - as confused/ignorant as that may be.
> Nevermind how complicated support for SCTP would need to be (multipath,
> multistream + NAT rewriting = ?).

Nope.. you DON'T need to rewrite NAT to do SCTP.. its a simple
set of changes.. You just don't get multi-homing with NAT. But
if you need a NAT chances are you are not too interested in
multi-homing anyway.

--
Randall Stewart
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222(cell)