[e2e] overlay over TCP

Randall Stewart randall at stewart.chicago.il.us
Thu Jan 20 07:13:12 PST 2005

Michael Welzl wrote:
>>Mathematical speaking , if you go from a protocol which can be described in
>>10 pages to a protocol(UDP) that must be described on around 100
>>pages(DCCP), that is a pretty big jump in complexity,
>>Then any application that want to use it, should at least expect to see some
>>advantages from it....
>

> I think you're mixing arguments here. Internal protocol
> complexity is not the main incentive / deployment problem.

I agree... in principle..

> e.g., TCP is a complex beast, but using it is not such
> a big deal. When we talk about incentives to use a protocol,
> we should talk about complexity that reveals itself towards
> its users, i.e. API features that are seen by upper layers.

And here I agree as well.. thats why we designed the socket-api
as we did.. you can use it the same way you use it for
SCTP with a few tweaks.. want more features, use more of
the socket options and additional calls..

Its elegant and does not bury the API user... you learn about
new features as you need to use them...

--
Randall Stewart
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222(cell)