[e2e] overlay over TCP

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Jan 20 10:41:11 PST 2005

Randall Stewart wrote:
>>> As to "doing SCTP" NAT's don't do TCP.. they know about
>>> it.. where the ports are, what the c-sum is etc.
>>
>> And where the data is, which for TCP and DCCP isn't as tricky ;-)
>
> There was no trick to it... one does not have to
> know where the data is since the header is
> just like TCP, just like UDP, just like DCCP.
>
> And all data (data and control) start after the
> header.. no different than TCP.. except for one
> minor rinkle.. I don't have to do the bit with
> psuedo headers...

Yeah, but you do have to deal with the SCTP muxing headers. Don't
forget, you have to scan certain protocols to translate IP addresses and
port numbers in the data too. That means parsing the data inside the
muxing chunks. (see below)

>>> Same for UDP and of course the same thing is needed
>>> for SCTP. You have to understand a "SYN" or an "INIT"
>>> but it is not as complex as you make out.. no more
>>> complex than having a NAT do TCP...
>>
>> NATs translate data _inside_ the packets too; that's where 'knowing
>> SCTP' is substantially more complex.
>
> FTP, last I checked, does not run over SCTP.. and even
> if it did it would not be that tough to find the addresses
> etc... no different than knowing the data format of
> any other protocol... including TCP..

Does HTTP? Will either FTP or HTTP? Any other protocols?

Doing "NAT" _means_ translating inner addresses used in the data. If
you're ignoring that, sure, it's certainly easy. But that's not what
makes NATs hard or complex.

Joe