[e2e] overlay over TCP

Janardhan Iyengar iyengar at mail.eecis.udel.edu
Thu Jan 20 11:04:24 PST 2005

Joe,

> That's perfectly clear! Wait - no, maybe not. So there's no "unreliable"
> flag, ala the unordered flag?

Not every feature comes with a flag. Other forms are also acceptable to
me. PR-SCTP offers partial reliability. If I am an application programmer
who need unreliable service, IMHO I don't have to be a genius to figure
out how to get it from PR-SCTP.

> But if the implementations of SCTP are anything like the specs, it's
> destined to be limited to the small communities that speak it's
> particular dialect of obscura.

"destined"? "dialect of obscura"?? I guess I do belong to this "small
community" since I understand the SCTP spec. SCTP was one of the first
RFCs I read as a grad student, and I'm pretty sure I understood it. I am
also pretty sure most folks who implement standards are well versed in the
language of the spec ("dialect of obscura"), and would be able to
understand it.  After all, they're the ones the spec is written for, isn't
it?

regards,
jana