[e2e] overlay over TCP

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Jan 20 11:16:49 PST 2005

Randall Stewart wrote:
> Joe Touch wrote:

>>> There was no trick to it... one does not have to
>>> know where the data is since the header is
>>> just like TCP, just like UDP, just like DCCP.
>>>
>>> And all data (data and control) start after the
>>> header.. no different than TCP.. except for one
>>> minor rinkle.. I don't have to do the bit with
>>> psuedo headers...
>>

>> Yeah, but you do have to deal with the SCTP muxing headers. Don't
>> forget, you have to scan certain protocols to translate IP addresses
>> and port numbers in the data too. That means parsing the data inside
>> the muxing chunks. (see below)

>>> FTP, last I checked, does not run over SCTP.. and even
>>> if it did it would not be that tough to find the addresses
>>> etc... no different than knowing the data format of
>>> any other protocol... including TCP..
>>

>> Does HTTP? Will either FTP or HTTP? Any other protocols?
>

> If HTTP or FTP ever do move to SCTP the logical thing
> to do will be to get rid of the silly IP addresses and ports
> inside the data stream. Instead they can use stream's to
> accomplish the same thing .. and get better performance as
> well.
>
> The reason they do the "open another connection" thing is to
> get around some of the very things that SCTP provides pathway's
> around aka head-of-line blocking.

They opened another connection for other reasons too:
	- to be able to signal "EOF"
	- to be able to force things to a third-party port
	  (to PUT to a lpr, e.g.)

The way the PORT command is spec'd, it almost looks like you could
initiate a transfer remotely from a separate machine (A tells B to send
a file to C) too. (anyone know whether that's possible? ever implemented?)

---

You might map it over, or not. HTTP, in particular, uses DNS names and
IP address inside the stream. NATs want to translate them - even if we
don't approve.

Joe