Fw: [e2e] overlay over TCP

Alex Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 22:43:03 PST 2005

As the archives for this list should show, there's more to typical TCPs'
behaviors than most people think.  And, very few folks have done much to
examine real TCP flows in real situations.  TCP has an Achille's heel with
some interesting performance facets, which real-world experimentation quickly
reveals.  The imagined benefits of various 'sophisticated' TCP algorithms pale
when the simplest of things happen on a real link, such as loss, or even just
the sending of an odd number of payloads per application block.  One test for
anyone who claims TCP expertise is to have that person estimate the effect of
1% packet loss on time to transfer a sizeable file.  We can then move on to an
estimate of the negative effects of Delayed Ack, etc.  In other words,
stopping significant Internet protocol development over 20 years ago was a
mistake we pay for every day in every business now.  But hey, we've settled
for lots of other mediocrities.

Alex