[e2e] overlay over TCP

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Jan 21 12:15:07 PST 2005

Dan Wing wrote:

> Yes, combined with little market demand, as yet, for a NAT to handle
> SCTP.

There is this chicken/egg problem.  If SCTP doesn't work over NATs it
won't be used for applications where NATs are heavily used.   Then there
won't be demand (at least no evidence of it).

There's a difference between "demand" (meaning actual use) and "demand"
meaning I would ask and pay to use it if I thought I had any chance of
getting it from the blind turkeys who sell things like NAT boxes.

Reminds me of 1992 when a Nynex VP told me there was *no demand* for
data connectivity between people working at home and their offices.  I
pointed out that companies like DEC and MIT employed 10's of thousands
of people who were using terminals to connect to computers at work.
His response was that they had carefully analyzed measured data use and
I was wrong.   I asked how they measured modems over home phone lines,
thinking they could listen for modem tones or something, and he said
(I'm not joking): "I thought that was illegal!"  It turns out that what
they called "data" was a dedicated "data circuit" and that modems were
"voice".