[e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any references?

K. K. Ramakrishnan kkrama at research.att.com
Fri Jan 21 13:56:16 PST 2005

Jon, Craig and Matt,
I meant to respond earlier to Jon's request on short term TCP behavior
on LANs.
I worked on this in the context of high-performance workstations and shared
10/100 Mbps Ethernet many years ago, and found the problem with capture
effect
and an approach to overcome it, which got incorporated into subsequent
Ethernet MAC
chips that were produced by Digital Equipment.

Since you folks are talking about it, I thought I'd point out to a paper
we wrote on the topic. Here is the URL:
http://www.research.att.com/~kkrama/papers.html#capture_effect
Of course as you folks mention, full-duplex Ethernet makes this problem less
relevant in LANs. But, it is still relevant in other domains, such as in
Wireless LANs.

        K. K. Ramakrishnan

K. K. Ramakrishnan                     Email: kkrama at research.att.com
AT&T Labs-Research, Rm. A117           Tel: (973)360-8764
180 Park Ave, Florham Park, NJ 07932   Fax: (973) 360-8871