[e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any references?

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sat Jan 22 16:27:26 PST 2005

Ahhh, yes, but -- there's always at least one.  :]

But, 99.9999% of people have no idea of how their stacks' parameters are set
by default and less idea how those and their OSs interact with their traffic
and links.  Again, ask someone thought to be network wise how much performance
will be lost on a full-MTU link when just 1% of TCP packets are lost (error,
etc., not even congestion).  Ask IT managers how their stack params are set,
and why.  Be ready for blank looks.  :]

And, as to the ephemeral 'capture effect', the vendors have been so successful
making $ selling LAN switches for so long that there are almost no segments
anymore for it to exist on, even if it ever was an issue --  "backpressure"
mateys, backpressure.  It's more relevant that single-chip 16/24-port switches
are in D-Link & Linksys boxes at Fry's for $25 now, and, with sub-100nm
fabbing, they fail more often, with far more obscure & sneaky performance
effects.  {:o]

Alex