The 1/e myth, was Re: [e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sun Jan 23 20:02:55 PST 2005

Not sure I get why your response is so energetic, Noel.  I think I said that $
motivated much of the decisionmaking in networking devices, which seems to be
exactly the reason we all now have $20 switches everywhere there are more than
two $10 interfaces!

Sure, there are few true Ethernet segments anymore, except in the backplane
logic of switches.  Having recently worked for a manufacturer of these chips,
the contention issues that used to be solved on a shared bus, still need to be
solved, but within a shared switch, and with a capability to slow any node
connected to the switch's ports (backpressure).

I also don't get your reference to Full Duplex, perhaps it's a straw man --
yes FDX Ethernet links aren't doing CSMA/CD, but something more traditional in
telecom:  access control via in/out-of band signalling (e.g. Pause Frames).
So, indeed, I agree "FDX Ethernet" is a misnomer.  The deal is that Ethernet
framing has become a standard, while that name itself implies the traditional
access method (CSMA/CD) as well, so there can be confusion.

Alex