[e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any references?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Mon Jan 24 08:49:36 PST 2005

Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> right - once people got over the argument
> "TCP is aheavyweight protocol"
> everyone used it to find the limit on
> Their Favourite LAN -
>
> even wide area, most the landspeed record stuff
> (e.g. ipv6 6Gbps coast2coast) is TCP based
>
> but what I am after is description of the normal dynamics of TCP on normal
> configs rangin from shared to switched
> 10 to 100 ether environments -
> how does the window and tx/rx packet rate vary over time
> over a set of flows in a
> typical site ?

I did some tests on the ATOMIC LAN at ISI in the early 1990s. One part
often ignored in simulations is that some TCPs basically ignore
congestion control on a LAN - if the dest addr is inside the same subnet
as the interface being sent, the software "assumes" they're on a LAN and
that the best thing to do is fight it out at the MAC layer (not always a
good assumption, we helped show).

Have you looked to see if the congestion control windows are even being
used, on the whole?

Joe