[e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any references?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Mon Jan 24 20:50:02 PST 2005

Michael Welzl wrote:
>>I did some tests on the ATOMIC LAN at ISI in the early 1990s. One part
>>often ignored in simulations is that some TCPs basically ignore
>>congestion control on a LAN - if the dest addr is inside the same subnet
>>as the interface being sent, the software "assumes" they're on a LAN and
>>that the best thing to do is fight it out at the MAC layer (not always a
>>good assumption, we helped show).
>

> I can't believe anything like this if it was an "ATOMIC" LAN,
> as the name "ATOMIC" is synonymous with REALLY REALLY REALLY
> high speed where I live:
>
> http://www.atomicsnow.com/
>
> :-)
>

> The only appropriate use of the word "ATOMIC"...

FWIW, it was synonymous with high speed for us too:

www.isi.edu/div7/atomic
www.isi.edu/atomic2

ATOMIC originally stood for "ATm Over MosaIC", as in ATM over the Mosaic
chipset from CalTech. MOSAIC was a CPU used as a mesh-connected
multiprocessor, and it included a message switching component; ISI used
an array of just the switching components as a packet switch for an 640
Mbps LAN.

At that time (1995), 640 Mbps was fairly fast for a deployed,
operational LAN.

Joe