The 1/e myth, was Re: [e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Tue Jan 25 10:37:04 PST 2005

Sure, multiple tokens allow things to happen better, if the ring has enough
propagation delay, but the effect is simply reduced a bit, not eliminated.
There's no beating the basic reality of CS:  If no one's talking, send now!
But we all know we need CD: Oops, who whacked my pkt?!

In any case, at the access rates most LANs are run at, there's no sense
waiting for any token.  One of the expensive absurdities of the '90s was the
Token Ring Switch.

Alex