[e2e] Re: NATting SCTP

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Sun Jan 30 23:20:13 PST 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 4:00 PM, Randall Stewart wrote:

> Dan Wing wrote:
>> (CC'ing ietf-behave, and setting reply-to to ietf-behave)

>>> No why do you say that? If you follow the recomendation of the
>>> drafts you get
>>>
>>> --From IP-A'(port:2222)-INIT(**)-To:IP-Z:port-80---->
>>>
>>> ** No addresses listed aka we are singly homed.
>>>
>>> Nat gets it and makes it
>>>
>>> ----->From IP-A(port:9999)-INIT(**)---To:IPZ:port-80-------->
>>>
>>> Nat at IPZ gets it and does whatever static mapping.. i.e. you
>>> have the same problem you have with a apache server behind a NAT ..
>>> you
>>> must have the NAT direct the port 80 connection somewhere.. this is
>>> the same for TCP..
>>>
>>> ----From IP-A(port:9999)---INIT(**)----To:IPZ':port-8080---->
>>>

>>> And the reverse mappings take place the opposite ways...
>>>
>>> I don't see how this does not work..
>> I agree it works, but only if:
>>   1.  you know the SCTP servers behind the NAT, and
>
> And does this differ with the way we do TCP servers behind a NAT?
>
>>   2.  reconfigure your NAT to do port forwarding, and
>
> And again, does this differ with the way we do TCP servers behind a
> NAT?
>>   3.  inform the remote SCTP client of your public SCTP port (which,
>>       if there is only one SCTP device behind the NAT, might well be
>>       the same as your application's default SCTP port).
>
> Again.. All of these cavets you list are the SAME exact ones that
> you do when you put a TCP server behind a NAT.. you:
>
> 1) Place the TCP server behind the NAT
> and
> 2) configure your nat to port forward <80> (for example) to 8080 at
>    10.1.1.1
> and
> 3) Tell the client about the public port.
>
> Nothing here is any differnet then the way current nats work with
> TCP...

As I said, I agree it works.  I agree that's what happens to use TCP
servers today.  If you're comfortable that SCTP servers will always
need manual configuration of NATs, that's great.   TCP hasn't worked
out that way, though -- for example, Windows fileshares and "p2p"
filesharing both want to connect to TCP servers behind NATs.

>> However, the barista at the local coffeeshop won't reconfigure their
>> NAT to support your SCTP server while you're using wireless at the
>> coffeeshop.  And my proverbial father wouldn't know how to
>> reconfigure his NAT, either, and my SCTP application won't know the
>> public SCTP port he chose to use when I visit his house with my
>> wireless device.
>
> And let me guess you think someone at these same places is going
> to know how to configure a TCP server behind a NAT too? I think
> not..

Today's difficulties in getting TCP servers working behind NATs has
caused several
workarounds for applications, as you're undoubtedly aware, because TCP
servers
that are behind unconfigured NATs are inaccessible.

>> As to your statement that this is how TCP works, there are active
>> efforts to make TCP servers behind NATs 'just work', without
>> requiring the NAT to be configured for port forwarding.  See for
>> example
>> http://nutss.gforge.cis.cornell.edu/stunt.php, which would require
>> only (3) from my list above -- which is necessary anyway if the same
>> application exists on multiple hosts behind a common NAT.
>

> Ok.. there are efforts underway ..I will look at your link.. but
> whatever you come up with for TCP you can do the same exact thing
> for SCTP..
>
> Its the same work.. and note that it is "an effort under way" which
> means the folks at the coffee shop are still doing 1 and 2 to
> get their TCP server to work behind their NAT :-0

-d