[e2e] Receiving RST on a MD5 TCP connection.

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri Jul 1 10:15:33 PDT 2005

RJ Atkinson wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2005, at 15:03, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> It does suggest, however, that if new keys are used on both sides,  then
>> both sides ought to flush their connections entirely (i.e., drop all
>> TCBs using old keys). This affects TCP/MD5 keying, but that's not
>> automatically managed, though.
>
> I would normally expect that if a reboot triggered rekeying,
> then some form of automated key management would be in place.

Agreed.

> In practice, current deployments change keys roughly never.

As you note below, in practice deployments don't even use keys ;-)

> Along that line, it should be quite practical for someone to
> write a "TCP MD5 Domain of Interpretation" specification to
> permit the existing ISAKMP/IKE protocol to be used for this
> purpose.

Agreed, however it's even easier to configure IKE to setup a transport
association between BGP peers (which, as below, I presume you are
referring to).

Joe