[e2e] Receiving RST on a MD5 TCP connection.

Mitesh Dalal mdalal at cisco.com
Fri Jul 1 11:12:07 PDT 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, RJ Atkinson wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2005, at 12:20, Mitesh Dalal wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Joe Touch wrote:
> >> Another point along these lines - if you had a secure connection with
> >> another host, then the host reboots and 'forgets' the security
> >> altogether (i.e., doesn't reestablish keys), it shouldn't be able to
> >> reset the old connection anyway.
> >>

> > and why would that be Joe ? By saying so you have no love for network
> > reliability. Do you know networks can go down if MD5 enabled LDP
> > connection cannot recover from this problem and rely on timeouts
> > to recover ? Do you know the same thing can happen to BGP ?
> > Security shouldnt come at the cost of reliablity!
> >
> > Mitesh
>
> Mitesh,
>
>      I think the point is that if one wants a reliable network,
> one should deploy BGP implementations that will not forget the
> security state across a reboot.  Operating with security turned
> off is a recipe for intrusions that cause reliability problems

agreed. It wasnt my intention to turn off security by any means. What
I am disagreeing with is Joe assertion that its ok for a rebooted
legit host to not be able to inform the other end of a stale
connection thereby making RSTs useless as they were meant to be in
RFC793 (i.e to sync stale connections). What we need is tcpsecure
which provides reasonable protection and very fast detection.

Mitesh