[e2e] Receiving RST on a MD5 TCP connection.

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Mon Jul 4 08:39:52 PDT 2005

RJ Atkinson wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2005, at 13:15, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> RJ Atkinson wrote:
>>
>>> Along that line, it should be quite practical for someone to
>>> write a "TCP MD5 Domain of Interpretation" specification to
>>> permit the existing ISAKMP/IKE protocol to be used for this
>>> purpose.
>>>

>> Agreed, however it's even easier to configure IKE to setup a transport
>> association between BGP peers (which, as below, I presume you are
>> referring to).
>
> I am unclear what you mean by "setup a transport association".

Use IKE to setup a transport mode security association on TCP on the
port used for BGP.

> To be clear, I was referring to the prospective use of IKE to provide
> dynamic key management for the existing TCP MD5 authentication  mechanism.

Which would be useful as well; I'd like to have IKE configure IPIP
tunnels (not just IPsec), regular firewalls (not just IPsec SAs), and
other keys as well.

> As near as I can tell, the only thing missing is a "Domain of
> Interpretation" specification for how IKE is applied to TCP MD5.
> IKE is nicely modular in this way, so IKE can be extended in a
> straight-forward manner to things well beyond IPsec (which is the
> main reason I have felt all along that IKE should have been done
> in a different WG than the IPsec WG).
>
> Ran

Agreed.

Joe