[e2e] Satellite networks latency and data corruption

alok alokdube at hotpop.com
Tue Jul 5 01:56:09 PDT 2005

Hi,

What I want to know is:

(a)
If the retransmission/ARQ is entirely offloaded to the end transmitter
and receiver (say my PC and your PC if we are doing a peer to peer),

versus

(b)
each transmitter and receiver pair on intermediate hop does the same,

How is (a) different from (b) in terms of effective utilization?
Obviously it is true if an end point A is talking to B and C :

A----hop1---hop2--hop3---C

so if the loss is seen in hop2--hop3, incase of (b) we have hop1 and
hop2 being utilised again for the same data that A has to send to C.

but are there any numbers/simple experiments illustrating (a) and (b)
and the corresponding results on the utilization of A--hop1 and hop1--hop2?

My other question is as to how the "buffer sizes" on each hop are
estimated in case of (a).

-thanks
Alok