[e2e] local recovery or not local recovery, was: Re: Satellite networks latency and data corruption

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Tue Jul 5 11:28:50 PDT 2005

Christian Huitema wrote:
> There are pros and cons to hop by hop and end to end control.
>
> The nature of loss (weather events) implies that there is generally no
> correlation between the error rates of the multiple hops. In practice,
> only one hop will have a significant error rate, while the others will
> be quasi free of errors.

Could it be feasible then to insert ARQ IS-IS only around the satellite
link, which suffer from weather events?

> You will also find that a typical hop-by-hop ARQ (e.g. HDLC with
> selective rejects) results in large delays if you assume re-sequencing
> at each node, because all flows must wait for the retransmission of any
> error -- in practice, the offending hop delay becomes three times larger
> than necessary.

O.k. But I think this must be compared to the delay seen by a pure ES-ES
approach. If you consider a typical path drain behaviour resulting from
packet loss, there may be short pause in the flow as well.

> You could opt to not implement re-sequencing, but then you have to deal
> with end to end re-ordering. Given the satellite hop delays, the out of
> sequence packet will arrive about 450 ms after the original packet. In
> all likelihood, TCP will have triggered an end to end retransmission,
> thus negating any bandwidth advantage to hop by hop retransmission.

Could this behaviour be alleviated by TCP spoofing as discussed e.g. in
Mark Allman´s paper?

DB

--
Detlef Bosau