[e2e] local recovery or not local recovery

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Wed Jul 6 23:23:11 PDT 2005

On Jul 5, 2005, at 11:31, Detlef Bosau wrote:
>> well I did see your website, but ....what is "3G"?
>
> Third Generation mobile networks.
                          ^ insert 'telephone' there above. :-)

> http://www.3gpp.org/
>
> I think "Third Generation Wide Area Mobile Networking and
> Ubiquitous Computing" sounds better - therefore sells better than:
> UMTS :-) *SCNR*

     "3GPP" is a European standardisation effort for the next-generation
of GSM compatible mobile telephones.  There are other competing
efforts, also called "3G", for standardising next-generations of
IS-95 ("CDMA") compatible mobile telephones.

     However, the key phrase in the quoted text above is actually
"mobile telephone", because any of the mobile telephone specs have
link properties and mobility properties that are rather different
than currently available satellite communications (SATCOM) links,
currently standardised wireless Ethernet (i.e. IEEE 802.11*) links,
or other currently being standardised LAN/MAN radio (e.g. IEEE 802.16)
links.  Further afield, the military radio communities seem to be
moving to software-defined radios supporting link technologies
that are a bit different than any of the above.

Yours,

Ran
rja at extremenetworks.com