[e2e] Once again "Dynamik Congestion Control to Improve Performacne of TCP Split-Connections over Satellite Links"

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sun Jul 17 07:44:18 PDT 2005

Detlef Bosau wrote:

Once upon a time, I wrote:

> Just another question. I´m trying to understand a paper "Dynamik
> Congestion Control to Improve Performacne of TCP Split-Connections over
> Satellite Links" by Lijuan Wu, Fei Peng, Victor C.M. Leung, appeared in
> Proc. ICCCN 2004, and I´m about to throw the towel. I somehow feel, it´s
> related work for me, but after a couple of days I still do not see,
> which problem is solved in this paper.
>
> Refering to the aforementioned paper, a satellite link is "lossy".
>
> Now, the authors propose a splitting/spoofing architecture:
>

> SND----netw.cloud----P1---satellite link----P2-----netw.cloud----RCV
>
> P1, P2: "Proxies".
>
> Let´s assume splitt connection gateways (I-TCP, Bakre/Badrinath, 1994 or
> 1995).

I think, I´ve seen the problem. Normally, I would not bother this list
with critical remarks on each paper I read. Surely, this would be
annoying and distracting. (However, there are so funny papers around. Is
there a list for howlers, where one could discuss the best ones?)

However, this is an important one, because I guess, the authors here are
not the only victims of a NS2 pecularity, I myself made this mistake
more than once:

The authors claim a congestion problem at the "MAC queue" from P1 to the
satellite link.

It´s the good old "source congestion", which is met in NS2 because the
NS2 implementation does not distinguish TCP senders from routers and
thus does not implement the "backpressure to wire speed", which should
be part of any well done socket implementation.

In NS2, a TCP sender enqueues a packet at the link and afterwards
continues its work.

Normally, this does not result in problems. In NS2, queue lenghts are
default 20 packets, as well as AWND. Thus, in startup phase, the "sender
queue" may fill up a little until the flow is in congestion avoidance
phase and the packet intervalls equalize.

However, in special cases, this can be a) a pitfall and b) an
_important_ difference to reality.

Please correct me, if I´m wrong. But at the moment, I guess, the authors
solve a self made problem here, which results from a programming
simplification in NS2.

Again: This simplification is justified in most cases and implementing
backpressure to wirespeed in the NS2 is a bit tricky. However, the
authors have found one of the rare cases, where "NS2 source congestion"
is a problem ;-)

And of course, "backpressure through proxies" _is_ a problem as far as I
can see. (I know that some people disagree here.)
But to my understanding, the paper mentioned above does not tackle this
issue. (However, it is really difficult to put this in a "related work"
section in a paper. Ignoring it is wrong - a proper discussion is nearly
impossible....)

Detlef Bosau

--
Detlef Bosau