[e2e] Satellite networks latency and data corruption

Scott,Keith L. KSCOTT at mitre.org
Mon Jul 18 06:24:58 PDT 2005

A few comments:

1.  A common claim is that if the proxies are proximate to the satellite
channel, then one can assume that loss between the proxies is due to
corruption and not congestion.  This requires a number of assumptions,
including that the proxies are smart enough to NOT over-drive the
satellite link.  However, this knowledge can sometimes be useful, see 2b
below.

2.  While it's true that proxies don't shorten the RTT from the point of
view of the application, they do shorten the RTT as seen by TCP.  Thus
end systems can use standard window sizes and not have to allocate a ton
of buffer space to all connections, whether they go over the satellite
or not.  Automatic buffer tuning mitigates this.

2b. Perhaps more importantly though, proxies allow the parameters of the
TCP connection (window size, congestion control algorithm and settings,
etc.) to change to accommodate the _local_ network characteristics.
This can give dramatically better performance, depending on the
applications involved.  FTP performance can be substantially improved;
stop-and-wait application protocols (e.g. CIFS) will still take a hit
from the long (e2e) RTT.

3. The only point I would make here is that if one opens up the default
window sizes for all endpoints to get good performance 'just in case'
connections go over large BDP channels, it may end up consuming memory
for small BDP connections as well.

On your last point, consider a point in the P2--RCV network where
multiple flows, some of them over the satellite and some of them short
RTT, share a link.  If there is congestion loss on that link, the
long-RTT flow will be 'unfairly' penalized in the recovery process, and
the short-RTT flows will get more of the link bandwidth.  In the proxy
environment, the P2--RCV flows that go over the satellite are
'short-RTT' on the P2--RCV part of the path, and so compete on a more
even basis with other flows.

		--keith