[e2e] peer to peer, e2e, PKI authentication, trust chain discovery, management and capabilities exchange

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sun Jul 24 06:03:40 PDT 2005

Francois - The sarcastic answer is "walled gardens" based on
"firewalls".  That is, it's not in the interest of anyone but us
out-of-favor hackers to focus on security and resiliency solutions that
don't involve the operators.
The operators are heavily invested in marketing and selling "security"
(the latest ridiculous idea is IRAP, the next-most-recent is elimination
of the "analog hole" in DRM solutions that involve  the transport in
every aspect of the application's business).

So instead of true resilience and security, we get operators who think
they should "provide" security - after all they "provide" the whole damn
Internet, don't they?

I spend a lot of time with operators through the MIT Communications
Futures Program.   *None* of their management seem interested in
peer-to-peer solutions to security issues.  However, some of the
equipment vendors (those that dare to wave a sharp stick towards the eye
of Verizon Wireless, their slavemaster) are exploring edge-based
security solutions, which Verizon promptly removes.

- David