[e2e] Agility of RTO Estimates, stability, vulneratibilites

sireen malik s.malik at tuhh.de
Sun Jul 24 08:12:28 PDT 2005

Hi,

My $2/100.

Self-Similarity (SS) on its own is not a problem, consider Brownian
motion, however, the property that the sum of correlations is infinite
(Long Range Dependence) has the potential to deviate performance in a
very significant way from the classical queuing behavior. Note: When
people talk about Self-Similarity in Internet traffic, they are in fact
talking about "Second Order Asymptotic Self-Similarity".

Central limit theorem is applicable under the condition of  IID's and
more importantly the "finite variance" assumption. One way of modeling
Internet traffic is  fractional Brownian motion (fractional Gaussian).
It has infinite variance and non-summable long range correlations.  So
theoretically, CLT does not apply to Internet traffic. In fact,
mathematicians talk about Generalized CLT i.e,.convergence to an
alpha-stable distribution.

Then TCP's RTO estimator looks in trouble under the CLT assumption.

However, that is theory.

In my opinion, following are some significant practical considerations:

* Buffers are finite, so buffering delays are bounded. So E2E delay and
the resultant RTT's will never be infinite.
* If we assume that packets are of fixed size then a fairly utilized
queue system will start putting deterministic/constant gaps in the
departure process. Recall Prof. Paul Kuhn's (Univ Stuttgart) formula for
G/G/1 system under decomposition. It predicts a perfectly deterministic
departure process for a 100% utilized queue. Theoretical, but it does
make sense!
* Buffers operate at small time scales, while SS is a large time
asymptotic property...so is it  relevant at all to the question question?
* The heavy-tailed file-sizes distribution, linked with the LRD in the
Internet traffic, is truncated in practice. There is no such thing as
"file of infinite size".  If so, we will have a heavy-tailed
distribution with "finite" variation. So correlations should only be
visible for some orders of magnitude of time-scales, and not at "all"
times scales. Therefore the process should not be LRD in the the pure
sense, rather Short Range Dependent.

So my feeling is that E2E and resultant RTT distribution has finite mean
and finite variance.  Therefore, the assumption of CLT is not a bad one
for practical applications.

regards,
Sireen Malik- Hamburg