[e2e] Agility of RTO Estimates, stability, vulneratibilites

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Jul 25 14:08:50 PDT 2005

Craig Partridge wrote:

> Hi Dave:
>
> Right -- they are variables, not independent activities.
>
> However, you need a better example -- queueing is not a major source of
> delay in most of the Internet these days.  And the one place it

But isn´t it a source for delay variation?

> seems to be present, in wireless networks -- the issue is often
> channel access delays (which is probably a better illustration of your
> point anyway).

Craig, if you told me that RTO estimation is a solved problem in
wirebound networks and an open issue in wireless ones, I would love you
for that.... (Oh, I apologize, we´re not really in the cage of folles
here....;-))

In that case, it would be sufficient to hide wireless delay variations
from the wirelebound network. Right?

(I always talk about wide area mobile wireless networks, not WLAN etc.,
but if you talk about channel access delays, we apparently talk about
the same thing.)

However: would it be at least _helpful_ to seperate latency variations
in wirebound and wireless network paths?

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau
Galileistrasse 30