[e2e] Agility of RTO Estimates, stability, vulneratibilites

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Jul 26 08:18:08 PDT 2005

Sireen Habib Malik wrote:

> From a network's point of view, the users (of all kinds) generate data
> - let us call it their on-phase. After downloading/generating data,
> they go into thinking- or reading-phase. This is the off-phase. The
> users remains in the on- and off-phase for randomly distributed times.

Sireen - models ~ reality, but NOT model == reality.   At the risk of
belaboring the obvious (at least to me) - there is no "the network",
just a collection of pieces loosely joined by agreements to cooperate,
and there is no "user from the point of view of the network", there are
just users who are not just people, but more and more consist of
autonomous algorithms that mediate complex and persistent relationships
among people.

For example, the Firefox browser does communications based on a model it
constructs of what the user might decide to look at next.   This model
is not in the network, nor is it in the user.   It may not even work
very well.   Some network users are DDOS botnets, or out-of-control
buggy communications.   The network

It's just plain not reasonable to say that "users" is a unitary concept
subject to a stable model, just as it is not reasonable to say that
networks (which include traffic shapers, MPLS, ...) are simple
collections of queues and links. That's something that mathematicians do
to map a real thing into a tractable problem space.   But it's a
dangerous mapping, as I've learned over and over in my career.  On the
one hand, you have to abstract in order gain one sort of
understanding.   But the abstraction creates a brittle problem structure
- knock one of the assumptions and the whole elaborate business falls
over dead.

You can't describe why a rainforest behaves as it does by analysis at
the level of van der Waals forces, nor can you by studying the genomes
as encoded in DNA.   You need to understand such things as the sunspot
cycle and the path-dependent evolutionary and development cycle as well.

My point about "incredibly useful" but containing an "essential lie" can
be stated imprecisely as a statement that reductionism is insufficient
to understand many very important phenomena that are VERY real-world.
Read P.A. Anderson's famous article, "More is Different".   Or read an
introductory complexity theory text about how heat conduction creates
stable vortices in fluids of a stable size.

In other words, when you use the word "network" in the paragraph above,
you are referring to something that exists *only* in the minds of
professors of computer science, because they created it as a modeling
tool.   The "network" we actually use is quite different.