[e2e] Agility of RTO Estimates, stability, vulneratibilites

sireen malik s.malik at tuhh.de
Wed Jul 27 06:21:01 PDT 2005

David,

I agree with your following statements.

"... the abstraction creates a brittle problem structure - knock one of
the assumptions and the whole elaborate business falls over dead. "

and

" On the other hand if the use of the .....*****.....is getting a paper
published, accuracy is best calculated as whatever it takes to get peer
reviewers to nominate yourpaper for publication.   One hopes that peer
reviewers are quite familiar with the normal needs for which such
measurements are done.   But for new fields and for "mature fields"
where theory has gone a separate way from practice, peers may be just as
limited as the author in terms of their perspective.   This is the
"danger" I refer to. "

So what do you think about the Poissonian assumption now?

Isn't it that one assumption which when one knocks, and the whole
elaborate business begins to look wobbly around knees, if it does not
fall over dead . I have read a few papers on TCP, and have the
impression that this assumption remains at the core of the analysis "for
getting papers published" as well as  getting them "nominated"! For the
vast majority of the TCP people, heavy-tails distributions is theory.
Just that.

I think this is the "danger" your refer to.

I do note, however, that a great utility of the Poisson assumption is
that no one hurls heat vortices and path-dependent sunspots at you!

--
SM